Add some pizza to your vacation in Italy!
Recipe for the perfect vacation in Italy? Scenic vistas, historical sites, the azure sea and world-class wines are all the ingredients you need. Whether you are cruising through the country by sea or arriving by air and traveling around by road, there are many ways to add that extra zing and pizzazz to your Italian holiday. The Chauffeur of Positano can make your trip extra special by organizing your transportation and excursion travel logistics, suggest places to try an authentic Italian pizza and even take you to a place where you could learn how to make one!
Pizzas are perhaps the most loved and popular foods on the planet. Bursting with flavor and colorful with all varieties of toppings, a pizza is a delight for all ages! The scrumptious dish has its roots in Italy and most likely got its start as focaccia.
Try Some of these Authentic Pizzas while on Your Vacation in Italy
- Neapolitan Pizza: This simple pizza that originated in Naples around the early 19th century is prepared with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced. The recipe uses basic dough, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. Its defining characteristic is that this no topping pizza often has more sauce than cheese, leaving the middle of the pie damp; it is therefore, not served by the slice.
- Calzone: With its origins in Naples, a calzone consists of a circle of Pizza Napoletana dough topped on one side and then folded into a stuffed half-moon. In Naples, traditional toppings include ricotta, mozzarella, salami, prosciutto and ham.
- Pizzelle Napoletane: These mini deep-fried pizzas are the closest thing you’ll find to the pies and are typically sold by street vendors. The base is coated with tomato sauce, topped with a dollop of fresh mozzarella and a single basil leaf to add flavor and color. It is rumored that pizzaiolos’ wives creatively used leftover dough to make pizzelles!
- Pizza Margherita: This is a typical Neapolitan pizza made with San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, salt and extra-virgin olive oil. According to history, in 1889, pizzaiolo Raffaele Esposito, invented a dish called “Pizza Margherita” in honor of the Queen Margherita of Savoy, and the Italian unification, representing the colors of the national flag.
- Pizza Marinara: A delicious flat bread topped with oil, tomato, garlic, and oregano. It was stored on voyages so that sailors (marinai) could make pizza even when they were away from home.
It’s going to be hard to choose which one is more delicious than the other – so go ahead and try all when you are on vacation in Italy!
Our experienced team can work out the most suitable and comfortable options for your travel throughout Italy. Arrive safely and comfortably with our diverse fleet that includes sedans, minibuses, motor coaches, buses, boats, and helicopters. We are positive you will have the trip of a lifetime!
Contact us today to make a booking online or request a quote to plan the perfect vacation in Italy.