Add value to your day on shore exploring the historic and charming city of Naples. Your day will start with our English-speaking chauffeur picking you from the Salerno port and taking you to what would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience of a place embedded in history, beauty and culture.
Here are some interesting points to note about Naples:
- Naples had been a thriving port city from the time of the ancient Greeks who founded this stunning metropolis. Known as Neapolis or“new city”, the Byzantine Empire made Naples a key port. Trade from southern Europe to Greece and the Middle East gave the city its great wealth.
- This ancient city has a rich history that goes back almost 3000 years. The people from the Greek colony of Cumae founded what was then called Parthenope. Today, Naples is the 3rd largest city in Italy after Rome and Milan with a population of around 1 million.
- The historic city center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the largest in Europe covering 4,200 acres bearing testimony to 27 centuries of history.
- Travelers and merchants from Greece and Anatolia attracted by the mineral wealth of the Tirreno founded the first colony in Pithecusa now known as the Island of Ischia. They then moved on the Phlegrean coast from where Cuma rose.
What to Expect on your Full day on Shore in Naples
Your chauffeur will begin this exciting day in Naples, one of the oldest cities of the western hemisphere by taking you to your first stop, The National Archaeological Museum of Naples. This pride of Italy is perfectly housed in a beautiful seventeenth century monumental building of the early 1800’s. The museum boasts of the richest, finest and most valuable collection of art and artefacts of archaeological interest in Italy.
There are over 3000 valuables on display. Divided into thematic sections, they date from the stone age to late antiquity. The Farnese collection belonging to the royal dynasty of the Bourbons, the founders of the museum is definitely worth viewing.
You have about two hours to imagine yourself in a time capsule as you walk through history. After that, your chauffeur will take you to the Galleria Umberto, Piazza Plebiscito, Castel Nuovo and the Town Hall of Naples. In the historic heart of the city you will visit The Sansevero Chapel Museum. Feast on baroque creativity, dynastic pride, beauty and mystery as they blend to create a timeless atmosphere. Masterpieces such as the famous Veiled Christ, Disillusion, and the Anatomical Machines will leave you in wondrous amazement!
The historic revelations of the morning would have surely made you hungry. A word that is sure to put a smile on any face is pizza, so when in Naples, indulge in an authentic Neapolitan pizza! Your chauffeur will be happy to suggest a location for you to relish the delightful cuisine of the area.
Here is some interesting information about Neapolitan Pizza you may not know:
- Pizza has its origins Naples, Italy. Flatbreads existed before the 1700’s though they were never topped with tomatoes that are now a distinguishing feature of any pizza. In the 16th century, explorers from Peru introduced tomatoes to the Europeans who believed them to be poisonous. In the 18th century, the dish gained popularity when poor peasants in Naples began to top their flatbread with it.
- The Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (VPN) was founded in 1984 in Naples, Italy to certify pizzerias that use the proper ancient artisan traditions of authentic Neapolitan pizza. A restaurant has to meet several criteria in order to be certified.
- An authentic Neapolitan pizza has a crust made from a dough that is made with highly refined Italian type 0 or 00 wheat flour Neapolitan or fresh brewer’s yeast, water and salt. The dough must be kneaded by hand at low speed and then tapped. The dough is topped with the region’s prime produce, the San Marzano tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
- The pizza is baked for only 60-90 seconds in a wood burning oven.
After devouring a lunch full of flavors of the region, we are sure you would love to relate the day’s experiences to your friends on the cruise ship.
With your camera loaded with pictures of your wonderful day, your chauffeur will take you for a drive around the city while sharing with you valuable information that will not be found in travel books! He will then drive you back to the Salerno port from where you will sail with incredible memories of your full day in historic Naples.
Contact us today to book your Naples tour from Salerno or request a quote online