An Ideal Day on Shore in Naples
This tour is the perfect way to spend an entire day on shore in Naples. Your exciting agenda for the day will commence with our English-speaking chauffeur picking you up in the morning from outside the cruise ship terminal at the Naples port.
Before you set out, it might interest you to know some of these facts about the places you are going to visit:
- Naples is the capital of Campania, which comes from the name Campania Felix – which in Latin means fertile countryside.
- Naples is the 3rd largest city in Italy after Rome and Milan with a population of around 1 million. The Funicular in Naples is one of the longest funicular lines in the world, and with over 10 million passengers carried annually.
- Naples historic city center is the largest in Europe, covering 1,700 hectares (4,200 acres) and enclosing 27 centuries of history. It is designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
- The ancient port city bears testimony to a rich and compelling history and dates back to 3,000 years with traces of the early Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and Normans and the later European powers of Spain and France.
What to Expect During Your Shore Excursion of Naples
This tour gives you the privilege of visiting sites of unparalleled historic importance and breathing in the incomparable beauty of a city veiled in myth and legend.
Our chauffeur will take you to your first stop, The National Archaeological Museum of Naples. Beautifully situated in a seventeenth century monumental building, the museum was founded way back in the early 1800’s. Take a walk into history as you view some of the world’s richest and most valuable collections of art and artifacts. Over 3000 exhibits from the Stone Age to late antiquity are on display in thematic sections.
After spending two hours in what you could call a fascinating time capsule, your chauffeur will take you to the Galleria Umberto, Piazza Plebiscito, Castel Nuovo, and the Town Hall. As you absorb more of this ancient city, feel free to ask your local driver any questions that come to mind.
At the Sansevero Chapel Museum, a beautiful monument located in the historic heart of Naples, you will be amazed at a true gem of the world’s artistic heritage where baroque creativity, dynastic pride, beauty and mystery blend to create a unique and almost timeless atmosphere. The remarkable Veiled Christ, Disillusion and the baffling Anatomical Machines are some of the most famous masterpieces on display here.
This dose of history is bound to leave you hungry! Your chauffeur will suggest some authentic places where you could relish the unmistakable taste of a Neapolitan pizza along with other local favorites.
Here are some interesting facts about pizza, a word that brings a smile to every face!
- The origins of pizza in Italy dates to the end of 1500. Historical records indicate that focaccia bread was called pizza. To make it more appealing, Neapolitan cooks spread lard over it and topped it with garlic, cheese and basil. Tomatoes were added only in the later years.
- Neapolitan pizza, or Pizza Napoletana, is a type of pizza that has its origins in Naples, Italy.
- The Margherita pizza was named after Queen Margherita Teresa Giovanni after her visit to the city in 1889 and the colors are representative of the Italian Flag, basil for the green, cheese represents the white and red, the tomato sauce.
- A relatively new trend is the Pizza al taglio, also known as“Pizza Rustica”. It is sold all over Italy usually by weight and often topped with marinated mushrooms, onions or artichokes. This style of pizza is cooked on a sheet pan at street stalls and makes a quick, delicious lunch.
After a finger-licking good lunch that you are bound to remember even when you get back on your cruise, your chauffeur will take you on a city tour of Naples. Relax in the car as he shows you around the place sharing valuable information with you.
As you revel in the memories of a wonderful day, your driver will drop you back to the Naples port. Share some unforgettable experiences of the incredible day with your friends on board the cruise ship!
Contact us today to book your full day Naples excursion or request a quote online.